I had a dream last night about my old high school best friends. Our group of friends fell apart my junior year and by the time we were seniors we barely talked at all. But at one point that group of girls meant everything to me.
In my dream, we were in my friend’s basement where we spent so many nights at. It felt so familiar. The strange thing was that my friend wanted nothing to do with me. I tried to talk to her but she kept walking away.
In real life this friend deleted me on Facebook and has avoided me in public when I know for a fact that she saw me. I made a list of the six things I wish I could tell her but know that I never will.
- I still think of you often and hope that you are well.
- I have no bad feelings towards you. In fact, I don’t even remember why we aren’t friends anymore. I think we just grew apart but I’m sorry if I did anything to hurt you.
- Our friendship meant so much to me. I’m glad I had you in my life even though it was only for a few years.
- I’m proud of you. From what I can see, it looks like you are living your best life. I used to know all your goals and aspirations and even though things have changed, it still looks like you have lived out your dreams.
- It really hurts that you deleted me on Facebook. I know it doesn’t matter but I feel like you just erased me from your life.
- I’m still here if you ever need to talk to anyone.
Friendships can be tricky and the older I get the more I realize this. I don’t think I’ll ever have a group of friends like my middle/high school group of girls. Things weren’t always perfect but I knew that they always had my back. So much time has passed that I don’t remember why we are no longer friends and the truth is that I don’t really care.
I do have two girls from elementary school that I am still friends with. Our friendship has stood the test of time and even though we are hundreds of miles apart I know we will be friends for the rest of our lives.
Are you still in contact with your high school friends?
Thanks so much for reading!
Image via Unsplash
4 thoughts on “6 Things I Wish I Could Tell My High School Best Friend”
Friendships can definitely be tricky. I was lucky to have three very close friends in high school and we withstood the time but as we grow older, we grow out and now I only speak to one regularly. I think it’s a part of maturing some times
You are right. It is part of maturing and it happens so gradually sometimes that it’s easy to miss.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Haley, I love how deep and personal this is. I have old friends that have erased me from their life, only because we grew apart. I wish people were mature enough to realize it doesn’t have to end like that. • http://www.youtube.com/EmilyRyann
Thank you! I agree!