Why does traveling have to be so expensive? And why do I love it so much?
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there’s just something about traveling that brings out the best in me! I feel alive, happy, and ready to take on the world! That’s why Brett and I make a point to save up for our next adventures.
How can we afford to travel as often as we do?
- We have a travel fund. I work in finance and I’m a big advocate for having a budget and saving for items you want to purchase or trips you want to take. For that reason, Brett and I always have a travel fund and are saving for our next trip. We put a percentage of our paychecks into this account and save it up until we are ready to go on our next adventure. Even if we aren’t currently planning a trip we are still putting money away for travel.
- We make travel a priority. It’s super easy to get caught up in all of the other things life throws your way. Brett and I make traveling a priority. In 2019 we weren’t able to plan a big Europe trip like we had hoped but we still set aside time to travel to places in the United States instead. This way we saved money but were still able to visit some new places and make memories together.
- We travel on a budget. When we go on a trip we aren’t staying in the fanciest hotels or splurging on new clothes and accessories for our travels. During our planning process we are mapping out all possibilities of places to stay, eat, visit, etc. We set a budget and stick to it. I do like to splurge for once in a lifetime opportunities but we always plan for those ahead of time and make room in the budget.
- We compromise. Planning a trip with another person can be difficult. Brett and I take turns picking the places we want to go. I planned our Europe trip in 2018 so he’s planning our 2020 trip. We can’t go everywhere at once so we compromise and take turns. Luckily, we both want to go to many of the same places so this has been pretty easy!
- Brett’s Job. We have been incredibly blessed by Brett’s current job for an airline. This allows us to travel at a very discounted rate but we haven’t always had this perk and have traveled many times without it. Brett’s job has allowed us to go on a few trips that we wouldn’t have normally been able to go on without spending more time saving our money. We are super grateful and don’t take this blessing lightly. We know that we won’t have these opportunities for long so we always try to make the most of it! I do want to stress that it is possible to travel without breaking the bank even without these flight benefits!
It’s not always easy, but we are determined to travel as much as possible before we have children. Traveling is one of our top priorities right now and I can only imagine how much that will change in the next few years. For now, I’m constantly on Pinterest planning our next adventure.
Do you have any budgeting tips for traveling?
Photo by Frank Vex on Unsplash
5 thoughts on “How We Can Afford to Travel”
I adore traveling and I love this helpful post! I try to save for travel in terms of when I go shopping I think… why purchase that item when I could put that money towards an experience? Obviously not all the time! But sometimes I just think I don’t need stuff! I need adventure! That’s why for Christmas and birthday’s I ask for experience presents, money towards travel etc rather that material gifts. Also I like how you guys alternate with destinations, that’s really great and the most fair way to do it. I love that! Xx
That’s a great idea to ask for experience gifts or money at holidays to use towards your travel! I feel like I’m also using my holiday money for practical things like my car payment haha.
Thanks for the tips!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is excellent. I also have a strict budget when traveling, especially when I was a student. I think while I’m still young, I wouldn’t mind paying less on accomodation and flights to cut back the travel money.
Thank you! I agree, I’ll stay in a hostel now just so I’m able to travel to all the places I want to go. It’s kind of part of the experience at this point!
LikeLiked by 1 person